- Senior ICT professional with broad experience in designing and managing networked systems based on Unix/Linux/Docker. Using and writing Free/Open Source software, with special attention to security and privacy.
- Skilled project manager with in-depth experience with communities of pratice.
- Independent researcher affiliated with University of Padova, involved in multidisciplinary work; author and coauthor of several scientific publications.
- Broad teaching experience in courses and seminars, academic and not.
- Founder of the tagmeNot.info project to foster visual and biometric privacy.
Journals and book series
- Neresini, F., Giardullo, P., Di Buccio, E., Cammozzo A.Exploring socio-technical future scenarios in the media: the energy transition case in Italian daily newspapers Quality & Quantity (2019). link to journal
- Cammozzo A., Lasciare il segno: l'oblio del mondo Janus 15, 2017 [PDF]
- Cammozzo A., Pasifae Inc. Mondo Digitale ANNO XVII N.76 Maggio 2018 /2018-3/ [PDF]
- Cammozzo A., La memoria del mondo di Italo Calvino e la terza rivoluzione industriale: siamo vivi o informazione? Janus 14, 2016.[PDF]
Personal relationship modeling throuh data operated by our information society simplifies man and life: a critique based on Italo Calvino's short novel "La Memoria del Mondo"
- Cammozzo A., Il ruolo non distruttivo del rumore nella comunicazione Janus 11/12, 2013.
A semiotic reflection on the role of noise in the decoding of perceptive signals, and the descriptive, prescriptive and predictive properties of code. [PDF]
- Cammozzo A., Né rizoma, né albero: metafore autopoietiche nella rappresentazione della conoscenza.;Janus 10, 2011 A semiotic reflection on the non-hyerarchical and non-rhyzomatic properties of knowledge as a network.
- Gambarotto F., Cammozzo A., A dream out of Silence, Innovation: Management, Policy and Practice Aug 2010, [PDF].
What are the reasons of organizational silence? A three-dimensional view on the huge loss of knowledge by organizations.
- Cammozzo A., Zeus, Lelapo e la volpe Teumessia o del potere di pietrificare il segno, Janus. Quaderni del Circolo Glossematico, n. 8/9, p. 9-26, Treviso, ZeL edizioni, 2010. [PDF]
A semiotic chase on the power of signification process from Saussure to Barthes and Rossi-Landi.
- Cammozzo, A. , Gambarotto; F. Il mito tecnologico a servizio dello sviluppo urbano: quale ruolo per lo Stato? in AAVV,Stato sociale, politica economica e democrazia. Riflessioni sullo spazio e il ruolo dell'intervento pubblico oggi. Asterios, Trieste, 2017
- Cammozzo, A.Territori senza spazi e spazi senza territori. E-democracy tra decentramento, ri-centralizzazione e policentrismo:
sfide ed opportunità, in Dalle Pratiche Di Partecipazione All’e-Democracy, Gangemi editore, 2015, pp. 115–156
- Cammozzo A, Gambarotto; F. La coalescenza della conoscenza ovvero l'auto-organizzazione come soluzione possibile di fronte ad una scarsità organizzativa. L'esperienza dei gruppi Dreams tra gerarchia e peer-production, in La condivisione informatica nell'Università, a cura di F.Gambarotto, CLEUP, Padova, 2009 (ISBN 978-88-6129-377-9).[PDF].
Sintesi dell'esperienza Dreams dalle comunità di pratica ai workgroup. Un caso singolare di innovazione nella pubblica amministrazione italiana.
- Cammozzo A., Di Buccio E., Neresini F. (2020) Monitoring Technoscientific Issues in the News. In: Koprinska I. et al. (eds) ECML PKDD 2020 Workshops. ECML PKDD 2020. Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol 1323. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-65965-3_37
- Cammozzo A., Pasifae Inc, CEPE-Ethicomp conference, Torino, 2017
- Cammozzo A., Topologies of the ICT-built space, CEPE-Ethicomp conference, Torino, 2017
- Cammozzo A., Lorenzet, A., Quis Monet Ipsos Monitores? Motivations, methodological issues and techniques for monitoring the controversy on surveillance as a topic in on-line scraped textual data, in A Matter of Design|Proceedings of the 5th STS Italian Conference, 2014, pp. 515-526
- Cammozzo A., Airports as an encoding/decoding device: a semiotic analysis of a designed spaceper STS 2014. [PDF]
Airports are designed to shape passengers behaviors, from well disciplinated queues at security barriers to "impulse purchasing" of "captive customers" in commercial areas. A semiotic analysis from the syntactic, semiotic and pragmatic points of views
- Cammozzo A., Do we need an open face recognition search engine?
Proceedings of the II ETHICOMP Latinoamérica Conference, Argentina, October 2013 [PDF]
The wide application of face recognition technology may expose us to unforeseen situations. Our ability to cope with this technological innovation may have important consequences for human rights and citizens privacy. One of the most bothering issues is information asymmetry being introduced not only in the web, but also in real life situations. Some imaginary situations are listed, along with the technical and normative means to restore information symmetry. One of the possible solutions being the creation of an openly accessible face recognition search engine.
- Cammozzo A., Facing Facism: unique biometric identifiers and data totalitarianism: socio-technical considerations. ETHICOMP 2013 conference proceedings. [PDF]
Citato dal brevetto IBM Corp. US9,569,669.
- Cammozzo A., Face Recognition and Privacy enhancing techniques. In The Social Impact of Social Computing, edited by Andy Bissett, Terry Ward Bynum, Ann Light, Angela Lauener, and Simon Rogerson, pp.101--109, Sheffield University, 2011. [PDF]
A taxonomy of facial recognition use from platforms. Slides [PDF] presented at the Ethicomp 2011 conference (Sheffield Hallam Uni, 14-16 sept).
This article has often been quoted in facial recognition patents; Google LLC: US9,996,735; Google Inc: US9,135,500; IBM Corp.: US9,934,397 US9,858,404 US9,747,430 US9,497,202
- Cammozzo A., Designed for democracy: pattern di interferenza tra codici giuridici e codici informatici nei recenti casi di censura online e offline presentato a e-privacy 2011 [PDF]
- Cammozzo A., Amministrazione digitale: vecchie risorse per nuove tecnologie in Flavia Marzano (ed.), ESperienze nella Pubblica amministrazionE, Ricerca, Tecnologie, Applicazioni (ESPERTA)[PDF]
Use of Open source Software in Italian public administration. Workshop ESPERTA workshop. Second Open Source Systems Conference (OSS) Como, Italia, June 8, 2006.
- Cammozzo A., Building Enabling Environments, Open Source among open systemsFree/Libre Open Source software FLOSS2009 conference, Padova, July 2/3 2009. [PDF]
Free/open software as a part of a wider systemic "enabling environment".
- Cammozzo A., Ragioni, Vincoli e Norme: dai sistemi giuridici di regole ai sistemi programmati di vincoli ovvero: cosa accade se si sostituiscono norme con vincoli tecnologici? Proceedings of the "e-privacy 2008", conference, Firenze, 2008. [PDF]
We use more and more devices to regulate behavior instead of relying on social norms and rules: what happens from a theory of law point of view? December 2007
- Cammozzo A., Un progetto per un museo di storia dell'informatica A proposal for a history of computing museum in Padova. Third conference on the educational use of Historical computingUDIS08 Padova, Giugno 2008[PDF]
- Cammozzo A., Enabling Environments: Internet, Web, GNU/Linux, Debian OSSEMP 2007 Workshop in the OSS2007 Conference. [PDF]
Explicit layerization of knowledge in software, with reference to corporate philantropy (Porter) and a Open Innovation (Chesbrough). Giugno-ottobreJune-October 2006.
Enabling Environments - English version
Reports and notes
- Cammozzo A., Special issues on Surveillance and Social Control: a resource list. Version 9, updated Jan 27, 2015 2015, [PDF]
A list of scholarly journal articles on "Surveillance" and "Social Control" topics.
- Gambarotto F., Cammozzo A., Rapporto Padova Smart marzo 2014 [PDF]
Relazione sulla realizzazione del progetto Padova Smarteport on the Padova Smart Smart-city project
- Cammozzo A., Airport Guantanamo 2010. The role of technology in the foucaultian power-as-relation concept. An analysis of the technology used in airports.[PDF]
- Cammozzo A., Un re senza sudditi? Naturalità emergente, ordine, causa e legge Alla ricerca di una legge storico-naturale attraverso Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau e Rosmini 2009, [PDF]
- Cammozzo A., Perroux:l'identità nello sviluppo, 2008. [PDF]
Reading Une philosophie du nouveau developpement, of Francois Perroux, in relation with regulation (Lessig), dell'autoritàauthority (Raz), e dell'identitàand identity (Swann) theories
- Cammozzo A., Libertà di forma, 2008. [PDF] Relations between autonomous local administrations, participation and central coordination.
TagMeNot, biometric privacy
TagMeNot is a QR-code. Wearing it (on a t-shirt or a badge) means: "I dont want to be subject to facial recognition". QR-code sends to the tagMeNot.info website where the opposition is stated in clear, providing a way to state your will before any picture of you is taken.
I designed it in 2009 to address the lack of a pre-emptive opt-out in facial recognition technology biomatric features extraction from pictures and video footage.
It has never been adopted by the platforms that use facial recognition, despite the fact it has been acknowledged in many patents, including these from Microsoft Corporation: 9,697,365 9,424,239 9,413,784 9,355,268
You may use it when it's difficult to state in advance your opposition to facial recognition or other personal data processing for pictures taken in public or semi-public occasions (meetings, rallies, parties, conferences,...).
See the TagMeNot Poster and the Twitter account @dontTag of the project.
Hactar is a platform for the collection, extraction, cleaning, end processing of online pages web from newspapers, blogs and websites. It's written in Python, collection is through RSS or crawling, storage in Mongodb, dockerized. Released under AGPL in gitlab/mmzz.
I developed most of the code for the TIPS(Technoscientific Issues in the Public Sphere) research project.
Cite as: A.Cammozzo,Hactar RSS/HTML collection platform, 2018-, GitLab repository, https://gitlab.com/mmzz/hactar
Smart City/Urban Data Analytics
I was the tchnical project manager for the Smart City Padova project, wich was unfortunately shut down briefly after its launch due to a change of mayor administration.
The project was focused on georeferencing as much as data was possible: from mobility data to public expenditure.
Around a mailing list, a small website and other simple resources I contributed to found a community of practice among the technical staff at the University of Padova from 2009 to 2011.
Starting from a internal conference, mapping the main problems and competences, the activity of the community extended to an organization-wide cluster of innovation projects.
A book collects the main events and some narratives of this unique experience.
Repairing, restoring and have fun on old computers from the collection of the MUSI, Museo didattico di storia dell'informatica of Padova.
EverythingEvery activity was documented on the refun website. Also here
I contributed to organize the three UDIS conferences on the educational use of historical computing: 2006, 2007, 2008
Research groups, memberships
GIAT Gruppo interdisciplinare analisi testuale - textual analysis interdisciplinary group
Circolo Glossematico is a research group intrested on the work of Louis Hjelmslev (1899-1965). Linguistics and semiotics.
nobrainnopain My blog
mmzz.org My other site with photography, ceramics and writings
I am on academia.edu and researchgate.
I am not on Facebook or Linkedin